Superintendent John Lavoie is pleased to announce that the Greater Lawrence Technical School was awarded the Safe Sport School 1st Team designation for their work protecting the health and safety of student athletes.
GLTS received the designation from the National Athletic Trainers’ Association on May 8.
In order to achieve Safe Sports School Status, schools must fit the following criteria:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate per-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention with onsite personnel and resources
- Create and rehearse venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psycho-social consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
Head Athletic Trainer Nairi Melkonian coordinated the application for the award, highlighting different initiatives and guidelines at GLTS for more than 1,200 student athletes.
“It’s an honor to receive this designation and a testament to the GLTS athletics staff dedication to the safety of our student athletes,” Superintendent Lavoie said. “I applaud Nairi for the hard work she put in to help us earn this title and am thrilled to see GLTS awarded this designation marking our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our student athletes.”
The certification will last for three years and expire in May 2023.This is the first time GLTS has earned this distinction.
The National Athletic Trainers’ Association is a professional membership association for certified athletic trainers and others who work in the athletic training profession.